Happy Lohri !!




Lohri, my favourite festival, is celebrated on the last day of the month of Pans to mark the end of winter. It is said that the forefathers formulated a sacred mantra which protected them from the cold. This mantra invoked the Sun God to send them so much heat that the winter cold would not affect them. And, in thanks-giving to the Sun God, they chanted this mantra round a fire on the last day of Pans. The Lohri fire is symbolic of the homage to the sun.

This is particularly a happy occasion for the couples who are together on Lohri first time after their marriage. Also, the tradition is to ask God for your special wishes on the parv of Lohri.

A few years back, I remember, all my neighbours prayed that I should not be with them on the next Lohri, meaning, I should get married and it actually happened :) The next Lohri my Mom served special sweets to all of them to celebrate my absence :)

I really miss all that today, the family, the friends, the neighbours, the togetherness, the sweets, the gossips, the dances around fire n everything..!!

It seems all these colourful festivals for me have just been concised to emails. I wish I could be with family today and sing with all:


Sundri Mundri Hei! Hoi!
Tera Kaun Bechara! Hoi!
Dullah Bhatti wala! Hoi!
Dullah Di Dhi viyahi !Hoi!
Sher ShaKar pai! Hoi!
Kuri de Mamme aaye! Hoi!
UnaNe ChuRi Kuti! Hoi!
Jimidari Lutti! Hoi!

Company whai company
Campa wale aayenge
Doso teer chalayenge
Ek teer mai mang laya
Chhota sipahi mainu tang laya
Wadda sipahi mainu marega
Dilli kaun sawarega
Dilli di do morniyan
Jeevan sab diyan Jodiyan !




Soaked in joy: Police recruits dancing around bonfire celebrating Lohri in Chandigarh on Monday



Find more about Origin of Lohri Time of Lohri Lohri Celebrations Lohri Celebrations in other Parts of India Lohri Songs Lohri Cards Lohri Recipes Lohri Greetings Lohri Pictures Lohri Gifts Lohri Gift Ideas Lohri Messages at www.lohrifestival.org

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohri





Also see:

 

iCBSE India