Guess Paper – 2008
Class - X
Subject - English
Time: 3 hrs Max. Marks: 100
- This paper consists of four sections:
Section B Writing 30
Section C Grammar 20
Section D Text Books 30
- All questions are compulsory.
- Marks are indicated against each question.
Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow (8) A2. Read the following passage carefully. (12 marks)
1. Summer vacation offers families dilemmas and opportunities. For too many kids it becomes a period of intellectual passivity and stalled personal growth. For others—and their parents—.it’s a time of overload and frantic scheduling.
2. “Summer is a great time for parents to build relationship with their children,”
says a renowned child psychologist. And it’s an opportunity both for the kids to learn and for the family to grow together. To make this a reality, educators and psychologists point to several simple strategies that parents can start planning before summer gets under way.
3. “Summer’s a perfect time for kids to take skills they’ve learnt in a class-room and use them in new ways,” notes a well known educator. Comparing prices in a grocery shop can sharpen children’s mental maths skills. Taking measurements to build a new tree house or design a simple plaything teaches geometry. Car trips provide opportunities to study maps and learn geography. Some libraries offer free summer reading programmes for children.
4. Sometimes kids will need a small push in the right direction.
5. It’s the daily doses of stimulation—intellectual, creative, esteem-building——that parents can give their children that have the greatest impact, ”says an eminent researcher. In an informal study conducted in 1998 other researches surveyed successful college students about how they spent their free time from ages , then compared their activities with those of troubled youngsters. They found that the successful ones were more likely to play spontaneous games, more involved in household chores and more likely to engage in playful activities with their parents. Troubled youngsters spent far less time on chores or family games and more time on their own, planted in front of the TV or a video game.
6. Often, when parents are drawing up their summer plans, their focus is on entertaining and enriching their children. But experts agree that a summer built completely around a child’s self- fulfilment won’t help a youngster mature into a high thinking, caring member of his family or community. Truly successful kids, say educators, are those who’ve learnt to budget time to help others—whether it’s helping an invalid neighbour or preparing their own family’s meals a couple of nights a week. Where parents fail, say experts, is in the way such responsibilities are presented. Too often, they’re trotted out as punishments instead of challenges. To make matters worse, parents often nag the child about the task, rather than simply setting a completion deadline and allowing the youngster to decide when and how he will meet it.
7. For most parents of school-age kids, the largest block of time they’ll have with their children is in the summer. With a little advance preparation, parents can use the summer to help develop their youngsters into smarter, more creative, more caring human beings.
A2.1 On the basis of your reading of the passage above complete the following sentences. Write the answers in your answer sheet against the correct blank numbers. (6 marks)
(a) Parents can give the kids a special summer vacation by (1)
(i)................. (ii) ………….
(b) Mention the new ways in which children can use the skills learnt in class (1)
(i) …………. (ii) ………….
(c) The advantages Philip had on writing the book reports were (1)
(i) ………… (ii) ………….
(d) Truly successful kids are those who …………. (1)
(e) Why should a summer vacation not be built completely around a child’s
(f) Parents who prepare for the summer vacation in advance can ensure that
their children ………….. .
A2.2 Find words / phrases from the passage which mean the same as the following from the paragraphs indicated. (2 marks)
(a) done quickly, not organized (para 1)
(b) plans (para 2)
1. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow (12)
The first important traveller to
About 2400 years ago, Seleokos, a general of Alexander the great tried to recapture the territories, once held by his master but afterwards conquered by Chandragupta Maurya. Chandragupta defeated him in 305 B.C. The defeated seleukos sent Megasthenes as his ambassador to the court of Chandragupta.
Megasthenes observed our two largest rivers, the
The numerous trees that grew in
About the people of India Megasthenes says that Indians were generally tall and slim. Most people wore a white cotton dress, which contrasted with their dark complexion. The rich however wore gaily coloured linen clothes. They wore ivory ear-rings and gold ornaments.
Megasthenes undoubtedly admired the Indian character. He says that the Indians behaved in an orderly manner. They just followed their customs and traditions. They did not care for written contracts. In business deals they took a man at his word.
a. How do we know Megasthenes’ views on
b. Why could the
c. How did the Indians decorate themselves in Megasthenes’ time? (1)
d. What were the conditions which brought Megasthenes to
e. How does Megasthenes support the fact that the Indians were disciplined and honest? (1)
f. Which of the following options is correct? (1)
A. According to the author the
i. They were flooded
ii. They were full of crocodiles
iii. There were roads to be used
iv. There were no boats.
B. Many people wore a cotton dress because: (1)
i. They were poor
ii. It covered their head
iii. It contrasted with their complexion
iv. The passage does not tell us.
g. Frame two questions on the basis of the underlined part of the passage. (2)
h. Find out the words from the passage which mean the same as the following:
Many para 4
Certainly para 6 (2)
SECTION B- WRITING
B 1 Your friend has asked for your advice for buying a birthday present. Write a POST CARD to him/her suggesting which points he\she one should keep in mind like interest, age, need etc.while buying a birthday present. You are Shanty /Shanta of 1048 D, Gulabi Bagh,
B3. You have noticed that inspite of the strict vigilance people try to deface the metro trains and stations. Write a letter to the Chairman, DMRC Delhi requesting him to start some awareness programmes at the school level in coordination with the Directorate of Education explaining how such programmes may help in bringing a positive change in their attitude. You are Kapil/Kapila of 28 D, DDA Flats, Paschim Vihar, and
B4. You are Akansha. You visited “The Green Gardens Resort” during the holidays. Write an article in not more than 200 words for your school magazine about why the place attracted you. Include the following:
• Facilities available
For Blind Candidates Only
Children like to spend their pocket money on their favourite food items like chips, kurkures, hot dog, pizza and cold drinks. But they don’t know that these things cause harm to their health. Write a paragraph describing the harmful effects of fast and junk food. Mention the health and other related problems caused by it in about 150 words. (10)
SECTION C- GRAMMAR
C 1. The following passage has not been edited. There is one error in each of the lines against which a blank is given. Write the incorrect word and the correction in your answer sheet as given below against the correct blank number. Remember to underline the word that you have supplied. (1/2 x8=4)
Once an poor woman, who had e.g. an – a
lost his only son, came to Budha and (a)
prayed to him to bringing her (b)
dead son back in life. Budha (c)
said that there is only one medicine (d)
that can given back her son’s life. (e)
She asked him who it was. Budha (f)
told her that she will bring (g)
a handful off mustard seeds from a (h)
house where death had not taken place.
The woman then understood the message given by Budha.
C 2.. In the passage given below, one word has been omitted in each line. Write the missing word along with the word that comes before and the word that comes after it in your answer sheet against the correct blank number. Ensure that the word that forms your answer is underlined. (½X8= 4 marks)
The television has always very controversial. e.g. always been very
While the positive aspects the electronic (a)
media innumerable, their negative (b)
impact children cannot be denied. (c)
For new piece of information that (d)
a child learns the Discovery or National (e)
Geographic channel, are also (f)
unrealistic stunt shows parents dislike. (g)
Computers and TV have students to lose (h)
interest in studies.
C 3. Read the dialogue and complete the passage given below. Write the correct answer in your answer-sheet against the correct blank number. Do not copy the whole sentence (4)
Deepti: Why do you look so sad?
Rohit: I have lost my wrist watch.
Deepti: Where did you lose it?
Rohit: Somewhere in the school playground.
Deepti asked Rohit (a)_________________________.Rohit told her (b)____________________. Deepti wanted to know (c)____________________. Rohit said that he (d)___________________ somewhere in the school playground.
C 4. Look at the words and phrases given below. Rearrange them to form meaningful sentences. The first one has been done as an example. Write the correct sentences in your answer sheet. Remember to number the answers correctly.(3x1=3)
Selflessness is a god-gifted virtue.
(c) seeks/he/his/of others/happiness/in the happiness
C5. Use the information in the headlines to complete the news items given below. Write the answers in your answer sheet against the correct blank number. Do not copy the whole sentence. 4 MARKS
(a) HEAVY RAINS LASH CHENNAI
The heavy rain which (a) ………… threw normal life out of gear.
(b) M.B.A. CLASSES TO BEGIN ON SEPT. 20TH
The center coordinator informed (b) ………….. Sept. 20th.
(c) THEATRE ACTIVIST BAGS TITLE
The 'kalabushan' title (c) ………….. and scholar Utpal Singh.
(d)12 INJURED AS BUSES COLLIDE
About (d) …………. at the K.N.P. junction here today.
SECTION D (LITERATURE)
Dl. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow. Write each answer in your answer sheet in one or two lines only.
'I watched the flame feeding on my mother.
I watched the holy man perform his rites
to tame the poison with an incantation.
After 24 hours
it lost its sting.
(a) Why was the flame feeding on the mother?
(b) Explain 'incantation'.
(c) What do these lines tell us about the attitude of the peasants?
D2. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow. Write each answer in your answer sheet in one or two lines only. Remember to number the answers correctly. (4 marks)
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day like a terrible fish.
(a) Name the poem and the poet. (1)
(b) How was the mirror important for the woman? (1)
(c) Explain: ‘has drowned a young girl, and an old woman....’ (2)
D3. How does the poem, 'Ode to the West Wind' reflect the poet's love for liberty? Your answer should not exceed 100 words. 5 marks
D4. Read the extract given below and answer the following questions. Write the answers in your answer sheet. Remember to number the answers correctly. (5 marks)
“I’ve come to bring you home, dear brother. Father’s not mean any more and he says you’re never coming back here, and from now on we’ll always be together.
(a) Who is the speaker of these lines? (1)
(b) What light do these words throw into Scrooge’s past? (2)
(c) Why did Scrooge feel guilty while watching this scene? (2)
D5. Why did Au give up hunting and he was now a completely changed person. What changes were there in his life and how they had an impact on Ali? Your answer should not exceed 75 words. (4 marks)
D 6. THE WHITE WOMAN has seen the naked truth of civil war after visiting the refugee camp. She decided to make a diary entry recollecting the experiences of the camp with the reference to the old grand mother. Make a diary entry in aboput 125 words 8 marks