Roll.No. Code.No. 101/1
Time allowed : 3 hours Maximum Marks : 100
General Instructions :
(i) This paper consists of four sections —
Section A —
Section B — Writing 30 marks
Section C — Grammar 20 marks
Section D — Literature 30 marks
(ii) Attempt all questions.
(iii) Do not write anything in the question paper.
(iv) All the answers must be correctly numbered as in the question paper and written in the answer sheet provided to you.
(v) Attempt all questions in each section before going on to the next section.
(vi) Read each question carefully and follow the instructions.
(vii) Strictly adhere to the word limit given with each question. Marks will be deducted for exceeding the word limit.
SECTION A – (
1. Read the passage carefully and answer the questions that follow : 8
More years ago than I care to remember, I became a member of a very special kind of “pyramid club.” A teenager on summer break from high school in
It was late in the evening when a very old car chugged up the road; it stopped when I thrust out my thumb. The driver was a middle-aged man in worn work clothes — a local farmer. When he came to where he was turning off, he put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a two-dollar note. “Here,” he said. “Take this.” Two dollars was a useful amount of money back then. A chocolate bar or a soft drink was about five cents; a hot dog, ten; a hamburger, 25. “No, thank you,” I protested. “I am fine.” “Take it,” he said. “It’s a loan. You can pay me back by giving two dollars to a young person a few years from now - when you have it and they don’t.”
I have never forgotten that man. Over the years, I have returned the loan many times over, periodically raising the amount to account for inflation. Each time I asked the recipient to pass it on to some other young person when he was able, along with instructions on how to pay it back. I wonder how many others have benefited from the unique pyramid club that farmer started, all those years ago, with two dollars.
1.1 Complete the following sentences. Write the answers in your answer sheet.
(a) During summer break, the author ________________________________
(b) When the author thrust out his thumb, ____________________________
(c) The author accepted the two dollars when ________________________
(d) The author not only kept the driver’s word but also raised ____________
1.2 Answer the following questions in your answer sheet : 2×2=4
(a) How did the author raise money during the trip?
(b) What was the instruction given by the author whenever he gave money to
2. Read the following passage
MENTALLY ILL, NEED LOVE
2. Mental health is an area of such a disturbing clash. Barring some hundreds of thousands, the 100 million or so of the mentally ill are treated worse than criminals, confined to hospitals, sometimes chained to their beds and usually forgotten even by their close relatives. The sick get little care or comfort in the 40-odd Government asylums. Most patients never seem to leave the hospitals, because their families refuse to take them back. Forgotten and forlorn, the ailing men and women place an enormous burden on the abysmally small number of doctors and nurses. There are just 4000 clinical psychologists in
3. The sad fact is that most of us do not even know the first symptoms of it, which can be as innocuous as lethargy, insomnia, lack of appetite, lack of clarity of thought and just plain unhappiness. The solution clearly lies in education. Teachers can spread valuable knowledge among the young. Obviously, there is pressing need for this kind of service: otherwise, why would hundreds of mentally ill languish in virtual “prisons” or be placed at the mercy of “magicians” and “soothsayers” who literally torture the sick? (Ritual beatings are part of the “treatment”)
- Adapted from ‘The Hindu’
A.2.1 On the basis of your reading of the passage complete the following. Write your answers in your answer sheet against the correct question number. 1×7=7
(a) The mentally ill are not accepted by their families and so _________________
(b) Some of the professionals involved in the treatment of the mentally ill are
(c) When people see the mentally ill on the streets they react by
(d) According to the writer, two other diseases that have been stigmatized are
(i) _______________ and
(e) Teachers can dispel some of the wrong notions about mental illness by__________________________________________________
(f) Some of the initial indications of mental illness are
(g) The group that gets most affected by madness is ________________________
2.2 Find words from the passage which mean the same as the explanations given below. Write your answers in your answer sheet. 5
(a) extremely bad (
(b) sickly (
(c) In depressing or painful condition (
(d) related to parents and children (
(e) extraordinary, unusual (
SECTION B – (Writing)
3. Sudhir wrote the following letter to his friend Verma. Then he decided to send a telegram instead of the letter. Using relevant information from the letter, write this telegram in not more than 25 words. Copy the format given below in your answer sheet: 5
I shall now get an opportunity to see you. You will be glad to know that I have been called for an interview for the post of Regional Sales Manager by Bayer Pharma,
INDIAN POST AND TELEGRAPH
Address of the addressee
Telegraph Office ________________
Tel.No. (if any) __________________
| || || || |
| || || || || || |
| || || || || || |
| || || || || || |
(Not to be telegraphed)
4. Read the following conversation between Nita and Mr.Soni in Mr.Rai’s absence. Mr,Soni is leaving for Kolkatta within half an hour, so he will not be able to meet Mr.Rai, but he leaves a message for him. Write this message in not more than 50 words. Put the message in a box. 5
Hello! Is it 6459781?
Could I speak to Mr.Rai?
Sorry, he’s not here at the moment, but will come back after some time. May I know who is speaking?
I am Nita. Rai is my uncle. My aunt, Mrs.Rai wants uncle to come back home as there are some important guests at the house
I am afraid I shall not be able to see Mr.Rai as I am leaving shortly to Kolkatta. You don’t worry. I am leaving a message for Mr.Rai before I leave
Thank you, uncle.
5. You have graduated from an
6. Jovin is a class X student. He happened to read the following newspaper article. He decided to write a letter to the editor of ‘The Indian Times’ giving his strong views on the health hazards caused by pesticides. Using ideas from the unit on ‘Health and Hygiene’, together with your own ideas, write the letter in not more than 150 words. 10
SECTION C – (Grammar)
7. The following paragraph has not been edited. There is one error in each line. Write the incorrect word and the correction in your answer sheet against the correct blank number. The first one has been done for you. 4
The ancient Greeks revered honey so much as e.g. as…….so
that much playwrights conveyed the a) _____________
luxurious lifestyle with the Athenians b) _____________
with its description of cheese cake c) _____________
eaten with honey. Honey be known not d) _____________
only for its sweet, and also for e) _____________
its soothing qualities. Unless sugar f) _____________
became commonplace in a late 18th g) _____________
century, honey is also used in traditional remedies. h) _____________
8. In the following passage, one word has been omitted in each line. Write the missing word along with the word that comes before and that which comes after it in your answer sheet against the correct blank number : 3
The next morning I found somewhat refreshed, eg: found myself refreshed
but I extremely hungry. As soon as it became light a) _____________
enough for to see my surroundings, I noticed that I b) _____________
was near a large ship. It seemed to be unloading cargo c) _____________
of pig iron. I went at once the vessel and d) _____________
asked the captain to permit me to help unload the
vessel in order to get money food. The captain, a e) _____________
white man, seemed to be kind – heartened, consented. f) _____________
9. Use the information in the headlines to complete the news items given below. Write the answers in your answer sheet against the correct blank number. 4
a) HEAVY RAINS LASH CHENNAI
The heavy rain which a) _________________________ threw normal life out of gear.
b) M.B.A. CLASSES TO BEGIN ON APRIL 12th
The center coordinator informed b) ________________________________ April 12th.
c) THEATRE ACTIVIST BAGS TITLE
The ‘kalabushan’ title c) ______________________________ and scholar Utpal Singh.
d) 12 INJURED AS BUSES COLLIDE
About d) _________________________________ at the K.N.P. junction here today.
10. Satish and Varun are two friends who meet after few years. Complete the dialogue given below in a suitable way. 5
Hello Varun! How are you?
I’m fine, thanks. What a pleasant surprise to see you at
I think you left college in 1991. What (a) ............................. all these years?
Well, I appeared in NDA entrance test, qualified and got selected as Pilot Officer in the Indian Air Force. Tell me what (b) .................................
I am running the family business of printing and publishing. You’ve grown quite slim. What (c) .................................
Nothing at all. We have to lead a very disciplined and rigorous life. The stress and strain of our occupation is entirely different.
Could (d) ................................. that wearies and worries so much?
We are never off duty. We may be summoned to fly any moment.
That’r right. When (e) ................................. In case you’re free let’s move to the restaurant over there and chat over a cup of coffee.
My train is to leave after 20 minutes. It will be a pleasure to remember the days gone by.
11. Look at the words and phrases below. Rearrange them to form meaningful sentences and write it down in your answer sheet against the correct question number. The first one has been done as an example. 4
out of work / were / if advertisements / dentists / to be / believed / for toothpaste / will soon be
If advertisements for toothpaste were to be believed dentists will soon be out of work.
a) Heart’s / and you can / to your / just use / content / this brand / sweets / gorge on
b) It guards you / no harm / ring / with it’s / will be done / as / protective
c) Unique / another / advertisement / that it’s / whiten / can / teeth / claims / action
d) May / specialists / actually / warn / that / be / harmful / the whitener
SECTION D – (Literature)
12. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow: Next night when the Nightingale
Shook her head and twitched her tail,
Closed an eye and fluffed a wing
And had cleared her throat to sing
She was startled by a croak
(a) How do you know the nightingale was getting ready to sing? Pick up relevant expressions. 1
(b) What startled the nightingale? 1
(c) What happens to the nightingale in the end and why? 2
13. Read the extract given below and answer the following questions :
I were as in my boyhood, and could be
The comrade of thy wanderings over Heaven,
As then, when to outstrip thy skiey speed
Scarce seem’d a vision; I would never have striven
As thus with thee in prayer in my sore need.
(a) Who is the poet addressing in these lines? 1
(b) What could the poet do in his boyhood that he cannot do now? 1
(c) What is the poet’s prayer? 2
14. Describe the effect that the West Wind has on land, sky and ocean in the poem
‘Ode to West Wind’. Your answer should not exceed 100 words. 5
15. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow.
MRS. CRATCHIT (bristling): Mr. Scrooge indeed. I wish I had him here: I’d give him a piece of my mind to feast upon, and I hope he’d have a good appetite for it.
(a) What is Mrs. Cratchit’s opinion of Mr. Scrooge? 1
(b) How does Cratchit react to it? 2
(c) What lesson did Scrooge learn from the sight? 2
16. Describe in brief, Cutie Pie’s days in glass prison. Your answer should not exceed 75 words. 4
17. In the “Tribute” after writing a note to his brother, Babuli decides to write a letter to his wife to tell her about his decision and the reasons for it. Write the letter in about 150-175 words. 8